Capital at risk.
Summary: Navigating the stock market in Sweden is made reliable and straightforward, thanks to stringent oversight by the Swedish Financial Supervisory Authority (Finansinspektionen). For those residing in Sweden, it's easy to invest in a variety of financial instruments like equities, ETFs, and more by depositing Swedish Krona (SEK) via local banking options, including Bankgiro, Swish, and traditional bank transfers, as well as debit and credit cards.
Top Stock Trading Apps in Sweden
In order to identify the premier stock and ETF trading platforms preferred by Swedish investors, we've implemented a comprehensive methodology that scrutinizes the pros and cons of each service. This includes key aspects such as compliance with Swedish Financial Supervisory Authority (Finansinspektionen) guidelines, the range of available equities and ETFs, overall user satisfaction, SEK deposit options, and associated transaction costs. Following this meticulous evaluation, we are pleased to offer an overview of the top five trading platforms in Sweden.
Earning the top spot as the best overall stock trading platform in Sweden, eToro provides an extensive portfolio that includes more than 3,000 equities, ETFs, commodities, and notably, support for top market indices like the S&P 500 and NASDAQ. With the trust of over 30 million global investors, eToro is compliant with regulations set forth in Europe, solidifying its position as one of the most secure platforms for trading stocks in Sweden.
What sets eToro apart are its groundbreaking social trading features such as Copy Trading and a Virtual Account that provides users with an opportunity to practice trading with 100,000 SEK in demo funds. The platform is also celebrated for its low transaction fees, competitive spreads, and convenient options for depositing Swedish Krona (SEK).
- Fees: Zero trading fees on stocks and ETFs and 1% spread.
- Assets: 3,000+ stocks, ETFs, commodities, currencies, and more.
- Regulation: CySEC, the Financial Conduct Authority, FinCEN and other Tier-1 regulators.
- SEK Deposit Methods: Instant Bank Transfer, Swish, Visa, Mastercard, Credit Cards, Debit Cards, and PayPal.
2. Trading 212
Trading 212 establishes itself as the second-best stock trading platform in Sweden, granting investors wide-ranging access to over 12,000 stocks and ETFs across US, European and Asian markets. The renowned broker is regulated and authorized by both the UK Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and the European Securities and Markets Authority (ESMA), ensuring a secure trading experience.
Trading 212 stands out with advanced trading features like fractional shares, customisable charts, CFDs with up to 20:1 leverage. The platform is consistently praised for its diverse asset selection, low commissions and easy onboarding for citizens of Sweden and Europe.
- Fees: Zero commissions and competitive spreads (1.5%).
- Assets: 12,000+ stocks and ETFs
- Regulation: Supervised by the UK Financial Conduct Authority and the European Securities and Markets Authority.
- SEK Deposit Methods: Instant Bank Transfer, Swish, Debit Cards and Credit Cards.
3. Interactive Brokers
Interactive Brokers, the third top stock trading platform in Sweden, offers access to 100+ global markets, including stocks, ETFs, and more. It is regulated and by entities such as the SEC and the UK's FCA, ensuring a secure trading space for Swedish investors. The platform also offers 4.59% APY on idle cash balances for SEK deposits, which is a unique point of difference.
Outside of the interest on cash, Interactive Brokers stands out with advanced tools for seasoned investors, including high-speed trade execution and comprehensive market data. The platform is highly appreciated for its extensive market access, low commission structure, and low-latency trading, which make it an excellent choice for seasoned traders in Sweden.
- Fees: Low commissions with competitive spreads.
- Assets: Access to 100+ markets globally.
- Regulation: Overseen by the SEC and the UK's FCA.
- SEK Deposit Methods: Bank Wire Transfer, SEPA, Debit Cards.
Capital.com secures the fourth position among the leading stock trading platforms in Sweden, providing access to over 2,500 stocks, ETFs, forex, and more. It's regulated by the UK's Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and the Cyprus Securities and Exchange Commission (CySEC), ensuring a safe trading environment.
Capital.com is recognized for its user-friendly interface and innovative AI technology that provides personalized trading insights. They are also one of the few platforms that allows you to integrate different tools like Metatrader 4 and Metatrader 5 to enhance your trading experience.
- Fees: Competitive spreads (1.5%) with zero commission.
- Assets: Access to a wide range of global markets.
- Regulation: Supervised by the UK's FCA and CySEC.
- SEK Deposit Methods: Bank Transfer, Debit/Credit Cards, PayPal, and Skrill.
Avanza, a homegrown Swedish platform, rounds off the top five stock trading platforms in the country. It provides access to diverse assets including domestic (e.g ATCO) and international equities, ETFs, and more. Avanza is regulated by the Finansinspektionen (FI), ensuring a secure investment environment.
Avanza distinguishes itself with a user-friendly interface, a feature-rich mobile app, and a wealth of educational resources. It also offers an investment savings account (Investeringssparkonto) with tax advantages for Swedish investors. Known for its competitive pricing and broad asset selection, Avanza provides robust customer support, making it suitable for both novice and seasoned investors.
- Fees: 0.15% trading fee and 1% commission.
- Assets: 2,000 Stockholmsbörsen and global stocks and ETFs.
- Regulation: Overseen by the Finansinspektionen.
- SEK Deposit Methods: Bankgiro, Swish, Bank Transfers.
How to Trade Stocks in Sweden
Embarking on the journey of stock and equities trading might seem daunting, but with the right guidance, newcomers can flourish. Follow this concise guide for a seamless initiation into stock trading as a resident of Sweden:
- Learn Basics: Understand fundamental investment principles and risk management within the context of Sweden's market.
- Set Goals: Define your investment objectives and adopt suitable strategies such as value, growth, or dividend investing.
- Choose a Broker: Select an appropriate Swedish trading platform considering factors like fees, asset variety, and user experience.
- Open an Account: Register on your chosen platform and complete the identity verification process.
- Deposit Funds: Transfer SEK via methods like bank transfers, Swish, or credit/debit cards.
- Analyze Stocks: Utilize the tools provided by your platform to identify stocks that align with your objectives and strategy.
- Execute Trades: Purchase stocks using market or limit orders and keep track of your portfolio.
By adhering to these steps and keeping on top of global financial market trends, you'll rapidly enhance your skills in stock trading and investing.
Who Regulates Stocks in Sweden?
In Sweden, the responsibility for regulating the stock market is vested in the Swedish Financial Supervisory Authority, commonly known as Finansinspektionen. This regulatory agency is expressly tasked with maintaining the stability and integrity of the Swedish financial markets. It oversees a variety of market participants, including stock exchanges, brokerage firms, and investment companies. Through the creation of rules, compliance monitoring, probing into possible misconduct, and imposing sanctions when required, Finansinspektionen plays a pivotal role in ensuring the Swedish stock market operates in a transparent and stable manner.
Investing in the Swedish stock market is a secure and straightforward endeavor thanks to rigorous regulations by the Swedish Financial Supervisory Authority (Finansinspektionen). Our in-depth analysis highlights eToro, Trading 212, Interactive Brokers, Capital.com, and Avanza as the top five platforms in Sweden, taking into account user experience, range of financial instruments, and regulatory compliance. Whether you are a seasoned trader or a beginner, these platforms offer a balanced mix of functionality, affordability, and trustworthiness, setting you on the path to a successful investment journey in Sweden.