Summary: In Turkey, purchasing Bitcoin and other digital assets can be carried out securely and effectively through crypto exchanges that adhere to local financial regulations. Investors have the option to use bank transfers, BKM transfers, debit cards, credit cards and other available methods to deposit Turkish Lira (TRY) and buy, stake, and trade cryptocurrencies within a regulated framework.
Our team has assessed and compiled a list of the top 5 trading platforms in Turkey to assist you in starting your crypto adventure. Here are the best options available to you:
Best Crypto Apps in Turkey
After a meticulous analysis of over 15 cryptocurrency exchanges, we have identified the foremost platforms for investors in Turkey. Our methodology incorporates vital aspects such as accreditation and recognition by the Capital Markets Board of Turkey (SPK), the range of accessible digital assets, the user interface, Turkish Lira deposit options, transaction charges, and various other factors to deliver a precise assessment of these platforms.
In the vibrant crypto environment of Turkey, Bybit clearly stands as the top option for both traders and investors. Showcasing a remarkable array of over 770 crypto assets and speedy Turkish Lira (TRY) deposit avenues, it effortlessly meets the unique needs of the Turkish populace. This platform shines with a combination of user-friendly features and a strong, secure foundation that has maintained a flawless reputation.
Bybit goes beyond mere versatility, cementing its status as the premier exchange in Turkey. Offering futures contracts with up to 100x leverage, along with a thriving NFT marketplace, it consistently presents a wide and varied spectrum of trading opportunities, fortifying its position as the preferred hub for crypto enthusiasts in Turkey.
- Fees: Free TRY deposits. The spot trading fee is 0.1% and the futures maker/taker rebates are 0.01%/0.06%.
- Supported Assets: Buy and sell over 770 Cryptocurrencies & stake over 280.
- Regulation & Licensing: Fully licensed and compliant to operate in Turkey and in more than 180 additional jurisdictions.
- TRY Deposit Methods: Bank Transfer, Credit/Debit Card, Maestro, Google Pay, VakıfBank, Ziraat, DenizBank, QNB & 5 more options.
Securing a noteworthy second place in our select list for crypto enthusiasts in Turkey is OKX, a platform celebrated not only for its versatility but also for its strong liquidity in key assets like Bitcoin, Ethereum, and popular stablecoins such as Tether USDT and USDC. Showcasing a prime lineup of over 300 top crypto assets, OKX transcends being a mere trading platform, emerging as a go-to financial hub for crypto fans in Turkey.
What sets OKX apart is its robust and reliable DeFi ecosystem, powered by its unique OKT Chain, which rivals the functionalities seen in the renowned BNB Chain of Binance. This innovative chain encourages profitable investments on DeFi protocols, allowing savvy users to take on slightly higher risks for the possibility of larger rewards. Adding to its appeal, OKX offers a wide variety of trading options including spot, margin, and futures trading, coupled with a vibrant NFT marketplace and tools designed for easy DeFi portfolio management.
- Fees: TRY deposits and withdrawals are free and Crypto withdrawals are subject to a small fee. The spot trading fee is 0.1% and the derivatives maker/taker rebate is 0.02%/0.05%.
- Supported Assets: Buy and sell over 300 Cryptocurrencies & stake over 150.
- Regulation & Licensing: Registered in Hong Kong and Malta, and provides proof of reserves.
- TRY Deposit Methods: Credit/Debit Card, Google Pay, FAST, Papara & 5 more options.
Claiming the third spot on our discerning list for the crypto community in Turkey is Binance, affirming its standing as one of the largest and most trustworthy platforms globally, serving over 100 million users across 130 countries. This platform offers a broad spectrum of trading opportunities, featuring spot, margin, and futures trading across more than 350 crypto assets, making it a favorite among a varied group of traders in Turkey.
In the Turkish market, Binance earns our strong endorsement, particularly for its extensive customer support in various languages, including Turkish, and rapid TRY deposits through numerous local banks and payment avenues. With a thriving community of local investors and a substantial footprint in the region, Binance persistently enhances its reputation as a reliable platform for both newcomers and veteran traders in Turkey. It provides a wealth of tools and services, cementing itself as a center for a comprehensive crypto trading experience.
- Fees: TRY deposit and withdrawal fees vary between 0.5% - 2.99% depending on the method. The spot trading fee is 0.1% and the future maker/taker rebate is 0.02%/0.06%.
- Supported Assets: Buy and sell over 300 Cryptocurrencies & stake over 100.
- Regulation & Licensing: Not regulated in Turkey and does not provide proof of reserves.
- TRY Deposit Methods: Advcash, Credit/Debit Card, Bank Transfer & 10+ more options.
4. BtcTurk | Kripto
Claiming the fourth spot on our carefully curated list for the crypto enthusiasts in Turkey is BtcTurk | Kripto, fortifying its prominence as a leading and highly reliable platform in the region. As a pioneer in the Turkish crypto scene, it now serves over 5 million users, offering a fluid trading experience with 207 distinct pairs and boasting a substantial 24-hour exchange volume of $64M. This homegrown platform stands as a preferred choice among a wide array of traders in Turkey, making the process of buying and selling Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies a breeze.
In the Turkish market, BtcTurk | Kripto is highlighted not just for its ease of use but also for the comprehensive support it offers to users around the clock. The platform ensures top-notch security, with 97% of crypto assets safeguarded in multi-signature cold wallets and regular audits by KPMG to maintain transparency and trust. Moreover, users can enjoy competitive commission rates and high liquidity, facilitating quick and seamless transactions. Adding a feather to its cap, it proudly sponsors the Turkish National Football Teams, underscoring its deep-rooted commitment to the community.
- Fees: The trading fees on BtcTurk PRO vary depending on if you're a Turkish citizen as there is an 18% VAT charged for residents of Turkey. For a detailed summary of the platform's fees, visit the BtcTurk PRO Fees Schedule.
- Supported Assets: Buy and sell 102 Cryptocurrencies.
- Regulation & Licensing: Regulated in Turkey and audited by KPMG.
- TRY Deposit Methods: Bank Transfer and Interbank Transfers (EFT).
Claiming the fifth spot on our curated list for crypto enthusiasts in Turkey is KuCoin, a global frontrunner in the cryptocurrency landscape. This platform stands out with a whopping user base spanning over 200 countries and a remarkable daily trading volume exceeding $1.45 billion. KuCoin, popular among Turkish users, offers a prolific selection of over 700 coins, hinting at the potential discovery of the next significant crypto asset for its extensive community.
KuCoin is deeply committed to ensuring a secure and trustworthy trading environment, leveraging sophisticated safety protocols, including Proof of Reserves (PoR), to guarantee a transparent and secure trading experience. Apart from its robust security measures, the platform boasts an expansive array of services, including diverse trading options and an innovative Halo Wallet. KuCoin also emphasizes building a global community, offering 24/7 customer support and fostering connections among its 29 million global investors, making it a trusted and preferred choice for traders in Turkey.
- Fees: TRY deposits & withdrawals are free. The spot trading fee starts from 0.1% and the derivatives maker/taker rebate is 0.02%/0.06%.
- Supported Assets: Buy and sell over 700 Cryptocurrencies & stake over 100.
- Regulation & Licensing: Not regulated and does not provide proof of reserves.
- TRY Deposit Methods: Bank Transfer, Eft Transfer, Skrill, Blik, STC Pay, Papara & 5 more options.
Is Crypto Legal in Turkey?
Yes, cryptocurrencies, including Bitcoin, are legal, but maintain a complex status in Turkey. While not classified as illegal, their usage comes with certain boundaries established by the governing authorities. The Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey has notably taken a stern stance, enforcing regulations to curb the use of cryptocurrencies for acquiring goods or services. This decision stemmed from concerns surrounding their volatility, potential engagement in unlawful transactions, and the possibility of enduring non-recoverable losses.
Despite this, the Turkish populace is not prohibited from indulging in cryptocurrency trading or possession. Individuals can freely buy, sell, and hold cryptocurrencies, navigating the market at their discretion. It's essential to approach this domain with a comprehensive understanding of the existing regulatory framework to make informed and safe investments.
Does Turkey Tax Cryptocurrencies?
In Turkey, the Ministry of Treasury and Finance regulates cryptocurrency taxation, including income tax, VAT, and withholding tax. Tax depends on the transaction nature and profit. VAT applies when cryptocurrency is used as payment. If it's held as a capital asset and sold profitably, the profit incurs income tax. Non-residents pay a withholding tax on cryptocurrency payments, with rates set by tax treaties. Profits from token sales are income-taxed based on sale profit. Cryptocurrency held over a year and sold profitably is taxed as a long-term capital gain, which has a lower rate. Transactions also adhere to AML and KYC regulations, requiring investor identification.
How to Buy Bitcoin and Crypto in Turkey
If the prospect of investing in Bitcoin or other digital currencies in Turkey piques your interest, we offer a clear, step-by-step guide for a safe and compliant transaction:
- Choose a BRSA-approved platform: Opt for exchanges that comply with regulations set by the Banking Regulation and Supervision Agency in Turkey.
- Create and verify your account: Register with your email, generate a robust password, and undertake necessary KYC protocols with appropriate identification and proof of residence.
- Deposit TRY: Load your account via bank transfer, BKM Express, debit/credit cards, or other Turkish payment methods.
- Acquire cryptocurrency: Select your preferred digital currency and the amount to buy in TRY or crypto, then validate the transaction.
- Secure your investments: Shift your digital currencies to a crypto wallet to strengthen security.
By adhering to these steps and using a reliable, regulated platform, you can proficiently and securely acquire cryptocurrencies in Turkey.
Concluding our deep dive into the Turkish crypto landscape, Bybit emerges as a top choice, closely followed by prominent exchanges like OKX, Binance, BtcTurk | Kripto, and KuCoin. Cryptocurrencies hold legal status in Turkey, allowing individuals to trade while respecting established guidelines. Before diving into investments, always opt for platforms approved by the Banking Regulation and Supervision Agency, ensure proper verification, and prioritize secure storage solutions for your assets.
Navigating the dynamic world of crypto in Turkey becomes a rewarding experience when approached with informed choices and diligent practices. Remember, always prioritize security and adhere to local regulations for a seamless trading experience.