Summary: In Turkey, engaging in the cryptocurrency market to buy, stake, or trade Bitcoin and other digital currencies is secure and efficient, thanks to exchanges that comply with local financial regulations. These platforms offer a variety of deposit methods, including bank transfers, BKM transfers, debit cards, and credit cards, allowing investors to easily convert Turkish Lira (TRY) into cryptocurrencies within a regulated environment.
Our expert team has meticulously evaluated and curated a list of the top 5 trading platforms in Turkey, aiming to streamline your entry into the world of crypto. Here are your best options:
Get the daily newsletter keeping 200,000 investors ahead of the market.
Best Cryptocurrency Exchanges in Turkey
Following an in-depth review of more than 15 cryptocurrency exchanges, we've pinpointed the leading platforms for investors in Turkey. Our evaluation process considers essential criteria, including accreditation and recognition by the Capital Markets Board of Turkey (SPK), the diversity of available digital assets, the ease of use of the user interface, options for depositing Turkish Lira, fees associated with transactions, among other key factors, to provide an accurate ranking of these exchanges.
Bybit has quickly become the go-to cryptocurrency exchange in Turkey, distinguishing itself through an intuitive platform that caters to the diverse needs of the Turkish crypto community. Offering a rich portfolio of over 1,000 digital assets, Bybit ensures transaction security on its fully regulated platform, with the added convenience of direct deposits from all major Turkish banks, such as Ziraat and Halkbank, in Turkish Lira (TRY).
Bybit shines with its extensive array of cryptocurrencies, staking opportunities, and futures contracts, offering up to 100x leverage and exceptional liquidity. Such versatility appeals to various investment approaches. With competitive fees—maker fee at 0.01% and taker fee at 0.06%—and a thriving community of over 20 million users globally, Bybit reinforces its status as a leading force in the cryptocurrency arena.
- Fees: Maker fee at 0.01%, taker fee at 0.06%.
- Supported Cryptocurrencies: Provides access to over 1,000 digital assets.
- Regulation & Licensing: Complies with international regulation standards, ensuring safe and secure operations within Turkey.
- TRY Deposit Methods: Facilitates bank transfers, electronic payments, and credit/debit card transactions, among other local options, making it highly accessible for Turkish users.
OKX claims the second spot among Turkey's preferred cryptocurrency exchanges, notable for its deep liquidity in key cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin, Ethereum, and sought-after stablecoins such as Tether USDT and USDC. It boasts over 300 leading crypto assets, making it more than just a trading platform—it's a comprehensive financial hub for Turkey's crypto enthusiasts.
The platform is distinguished by its advanced DeFi ecosystem, powered by the proprietary OKT Chain. This rivals the functionality of the esteemed BNB Chain from Binance, enabling profitable DeFi protocol investments for users willing to embrace higher risk for potentially greater rewards. OKX also features diverse trading options, including spot, margin, and futures, alongside a vibrant NFT marketplace and DeFi portfolio management tools.
- Fees: Free TRY deposits and withdrawals. Spot trading incurs a 0.1% fee, and derivatives trading benefits from a 0.02%/0.05% maker/taker rebate.
- Supported Assets: Enables trading of over 300 cryptocurrencies and staking of more than 150.
- Regulation & Licensing: OKX operates under regulations in Hong Kong and Malta, offering proof of reserves for added trust.
- TRY Deposit Methods: Supports various payment options, including Credit/Debit Card, Google Pay, bank transfers, and others.
Binance secures the third position on our list for Turkey's crypto community, confirming its global reputation as one of the most expansive and reliable platforms. With a service network spanning over 130 countries and a user base exceeding 100 million, Binance offers a vast array of trading options, including spot, margin, and futures trading among its more than 350 crypto assets. This diversity appeals to a wide range of Turkish traders.
Binance is particularly praised for its extensive customer support in multiple languages, including Turkish, and for enabling swift TRY deposits via various local banks and payment methods. Its significant regional presence and a dedicated local investor community continually enhance its credibility as a trusted choice for beginners and experienced traders. Binance is a pivotal platform for comprehensive crypto trading experiences, equipped with numerous tools and services.
- Fees: TRY transactions incur fees ranging from 0.5% to 2.99%, with a standard 0.1% spot trading fee and a future trading rebate of 0.02%/0.06%.
- Supported Assets: Trade over 300 cryptocurrencies and stake more than 100.
- Regulation & Licensing: Binance operates without Turkish regulation and does not provide proof of reserves.
- TRY Deposit Options: Includes Advcash, credit/debit cards, bank transfers, and over 10 other methods, catering to diverse user preferences.
4. BtcTurk | Kripto
BtcTurk | Kripto, as a trailblazer in Turkey's cryptocurrency landscape, captures the fourth rank on our discerning list for Turkish crypto enthusiasts. With over 5 million users, it delivers a seamless trading experience across 207 unique pairs and generates a significant 24-hour exchange volume of $64M. This domestic platform is favored for making cryptocurrency transactions straightforward for a broad spectrum of traders in Turkey.
BtcTurk | Kripto excels not just in user-friendliness but also in its round-the-clock comprehensive support. It prioritizes security, with 97% of assets in multi-signature cold wallets and transparency through regular audits by KPMG. Competitive fees, high liquidity for swift transactions, and sponsorship of the Turkish National Football Teams demonstrate its commitment to the community.
- Fees: Trading fees on BtcTurk PRO vary, including an 18% VAT for Turkish residents.
- Supported Assets: Trade 102 cryptocurrencies.
- Regulation & Licensing: Regulated in Turkey with KPMG audits.
- TRY Deposit Methods: Supports Bank Transfer and EFT, catering to local banking preferences.
KuCoin captures the fifth position for crypto enthusiasts in Turkey, recognized globally for its extensive reach across 200 countries and a daily trading volume surpassing $2.48 billion. With over 700 coins available, KuCoin offers Turkish traders a broad spectrum of opportunities to discover potentially lucrative crypto assets.
KuCoin prioritizes a safe trading environment with advanced security measures, including Proof of Reserves (PoR), ensuring transparency and safety for its users. The platform's wide service range, including a diverse set of trading options and the Halo Wallet, along with 24/7 customer support, cements its status as a preferred platform in Turkey, connecting its 29 million global investors.
- Fees: Free TRY transactions; spot trading starts at 0.1%, derivatives offer a 0.02%/0.06% maker/taker rebate.
- Supported Assets: Over 700 cryptocurrencies available for trading and staking.
- Regulation & Licensing: Lacks regulation and does not offer proof of reserves.
- TRY Deposit Methods: Includes Bank Transfer, Eft Transfer, Skrill, Blik, STC Pay, Papara, among others.
Is Crypto Legal in Turkey?
Yes, cryptocurrencies, including Bitcoin, are legal, but maintain a complex status in Turkey. While not classified as illegal, their usage comes with certain boundaries established by the governing authorities. The Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey has notably taken a stern stance, enforcing regulations to curb the use of cryptocurrencies for acquiring goods or services. This decision stemmed from concerns surrounding their volatility, potential engagement in unlawful transactions, and the possibility of enduring non-recoverable losses.
Despite this, the Turkish populace is not prohibited from indulging in cryptocurrency trading or possession. Individuals can freely buy, sell, and hold cryptocurrencies, navigating the market at their discretion. It's essential to approach this domain with a comprehensive understanding of the existing regulatory framework to make informed and safe investments.
Does Turkey Tax Cryptocurrencies?
In Turkey, the Ministry of Treasury and Finance regulates cryptocurrency taxation, including income tax, VAT, and withholding tax. Tax depends on the transaction nature and profit. VAT applies when cryptocurrency is used as payment. If it's held as a capital asset and sold profitably, the profit incurs income tax. Non-residents pay a withholding tax on cryptocurrency payments, with rates set by tax treaties. Profits from token sales are income-taxed based on sale profit. Cryptocurrency held over a year and sold profitably is taxed as a long-term capital gain, which has a lower rate. Transactions also adhere to AML and KYC regulations, requiring investor identification.
In summarizing our exploration, we pinpoint the best cryptocurrency exchanges available to investors in Turkey, highlighting those that stand out for their strong security features, extensive selection of cryptocurrencies, and compliance with Turkey's financial regulations. Bybit takes the lead with its all-encompassing offerings, OKX shines as an impressive alternative, Binance brings its global prowess, BtcTurk | Kripto represents the best of local excellence, and KuCoin offers unmatched diversity in altcoins.
Crafted through thorough research and a deep understanding of regulatory requirements, this guide is designed to steer you confidently through Turkey's vibrant cryptocurrency landscape, ensuring a safe and enriching trading journey.