Best Stock Trading Apps in the Netherlands
To determine and classify the top five stock trading platforms and apps in the Netherlands, we've developed a ranking approach that evaluates each platform's offerings and services. Key aspects we consider include compliance with Dutch regulations, pricing, supported assets, EUR deposit methods, and support for the Dutch language. Read on to discover more about the five leading stock trading platforms in the Netherlands.
eToro stands as the premier stock trading platform in the Netherlands, offering investors quick, low-fee EUR deposits to trade over 3,000 stocks without brokerage fees. It also provides 24/7 Dutch customer support, and the platform can be completely operated in the Dutch language.
Besides stocks, their offering extends to commodities, currencies, and ETFs, meeting the diversifying interests of traders. The web platform and app are user-friendly, making it a fit for beginners venturing into the trading world and seasoned investors wishing to trade with up to 10x leverage.
- Fees: No trading and a 1% spread.
- Assets: 3,000+ Stocks, ETFs, Commodities, Currencies, Indices, and more.
- Regulation: Licensed by the European Securities and Markets Authority (ESMA)
- EUR Deposit Methods: SEPA Transfers, iDEAL, Sofort, Klarna, Debit Card, Credit Card and more.
2. Interactive Brokers
Claiming the second spot among the Netherlands' leading trading platforms, Interactive Brokers grants access to 100+ global markets, inclusive of stocks and ETFs. It's licensed by the Dutch Authority for the Financial Markets (AFM) and the UK's FCA, thereby ensuring strict regulatory compliance. An exceptional feature is their attractive 4.59% APY on idle Euro (EUR) cash balances, which outperforms local banks like ING and Rabobank.
Interactive Brokers distinguishes itself with sophisticated tools for veteran investors, such as swift trade execution and exhaustive market data. Its broad market access, low commission structure, and high-speed trading make it an ideal choice for seasoned Dutch traders.
- Fees: Low commissions and competitive spreads (1%-1.5%).
- Assets: Access to 100+ global markets with 2,500+ assets
- Regulation: Supervised by the AFM and the UK's FCA.
- EUR Deposit Methods: Bank Wire Transfer, SEPA Transfers, iDEAL, Debit Cards.
DEGIRO ranks as an excellent alternative trading platform in the Netherlands, renowned for its straightforward pricing structure and an extensive array of 2,500 available stocks and ETFs. It's licensed by the AFM, reinforcing its strong adherence to regulatory standards. A distinct feature is the ability to access both local and global markets, providing ample investment opportunities.
DEGIRO is recognized for its user-friendly platform, suitable for both beginners and experienced investors, coupled with a wealth of insightful market data. It remains a favorite among Dutch traders for its balance of affordability and versatility. The company is also publicly listed on the SDAX as flatexDEGIRO AG, highlighting its high level of security and compliance.
- Fees: Zero commissions and 1% spreads.
- Assets: 2,500+ stocks, ETFs, commodities and more across 50 markets.
- Regulation: Regulated by the AFM and registered with the Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Amsterdam.
- EUR Deposit Methods: Bank Transfer, iDEAL, SEPA Transfer, Denot Card.
4. BUX Zero
BUX Zero, the best Netherlands-based platform, allows traders to invest in their favorite companies without commission fees. Regulated by the AFM, it offers a simple, intuitive app that makes investing easy, even for beginners. The ability to invest in fractional shares also sets it apart, enabling traders to start investing with smaller amounts.
The growing neobroker has garnered substantial trust within the investor community, thanks in large part to its robust partnership with ABN AMRO, which manages clearing services for the platform. Further solidifying investor confidence, Dutch users enjoy the protection of deposits up to €100,000, safeguarded by the Dutch Deposit Guarantee Scheme administered by the De Nederlandsche Bank (DNB). This secure framework and regulatory assurance elevate BUX Zero to a preferred choice among Dutch investors.
- Fees: Zero commission fees with wide spreads over 1.5%.
- Assets: Over 2,000 local and international stocks.
- Regulation: Supervised by the AFM.
- EUR Deposit Methods: iDEAL, Bank Transfers.
5. Trade Republic
Trade Republic rounds out our top 5 list and takes the crown as the premier mobile-exclusive trading platform and online broker in the Netherlands. Its users can effortlessly and efficiently trade individual stocks, ETFs, and derivatives. Since its inception in 2019, Trade Republic has ceaselessly aimed to become the leading mobile trading platform. What sets it apart from its competitors is its genuine banking license, marking it as a securities trading bank.
Deposits within a user's clearing account are legally protected up to €100,000, securely held in a pooled trust account with Solarisbank, and supervised by the De Nederlandsche Bank (DNB) and the Dutch Authority for the Financial Markets (AFM), adding an extra layer of safety for Dutch traders.
- Fees: €1 fee per trade and over 1% spreads.
- Assets: 10,000+ Stocks, ETFs, Bonds, Futures, Funds, Forex, and more.
- Regulation: Dutch Authority for the Financial Markets (AFM)
- EUR Deposit Methods: Bank Transfers, iDEAL, Apple Pay, Google Pay & Credit Card.
How to Buy Stocks in Netherlands for Beginners
Venturing into the Dutch investment world may seem overwhelming for novices, but with this concise guide, you're equipped to thrive. Here's a snapshot of the steps to ensure a successful investment journey:
- Define Goals and Strategy: Identify your investment goals and select a strategy that syncs with them.
- Self-Education: Understand the fundamentals of risk management, how the stock market operates, and investment principles.
- Select a Trading Platform: Explore various regulated Dutch trading platforms, considering their suitability to your needs, competitive fees, and user-friendly interfaces.
- Open an Account: Once you've chosen a platform, sign up and complete any required verification.
- Deposit Funds: Fund your account using your desired method such as a bank transfer, iDEAL, Sofort or a credit/debit card.
- Research Stocks: Use your chosen platform's tools to find stocks that match your investment goals.
- Execute an Order: Lastly, place a market or limit order and regularly check on your investments.
Who Regulates the Stock Market in the Netherlands?
In the Netherlands, the Dutch Authority for the Financial Markets (AFM) plays a pivotal role in supervising and regulating securities markets. Its key duties encompass investor protection, ensuring market transparency, and upholding the stability and integrity of the financial system.
The AFM oversees a variety of entities such as stock exchanges, securities issuers, brokers, investment funds, and asset management firms. It establishes conduct standards for market participants, enforces compliance, probes potential market misconduct, and imposes sanctions in cases of non-adherence.
In summary, the Netherlands provides a secure environment for equity investments, with top trading platforms including eToro, Interactive Brokers, DEGIRO, BUX Zero, and Trade Republic. Each offers unique features for diverse investor needs. By utilizing these platforms, investing in the Netherlands can be a rewarding experience, with robust oversight from the AFM and DNB ensuring market integrity.