Summary: In Indonesia, the most effective strategy for purchasing and trading Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies involves using a domestic exchange that complies with regulations established by the Indonesian Financial Services Authority (OJK). These platforms offer legal and safe avenues for cryptocurrency transactions, accepting Indonesian Rupiah (IDR) through diverse payment options, including bank transfers, debit cards, credit cards, and e-wallets.
For Indonesian enthusiasts stepping into the crypto market, we've rigorously analyzed the top 5 local trading platforms. Our in-depth examination identifies the most trustworthy platforms, ensuring compliance with Indonesia's financial regulations and offering secure IDR deposit methods.
Get the daily newsletter keeping 200,000 investors ahead of the market.
Best Cryptocurrency Exchanges in Indonesia
After assessing over 20 digital currency exchanges, we've crafted a list of the leading platforms for investors in Indonesia. Our selection process focused on compliance with regulations mandated by the Indonesian Financial Services Authority (OJK), offering a broad array of cryptocurrencies, user-friendly interfaces, easy Indonesian Rupiah (IDR) deposit methods, and low transaction fees. Here is our carefully researched roundup of the top five cryptocurrency exchanges for trading in Indonesia.
Bybit is the premier platform for cryptocurrency trading in Indonesia, serving as a pivotal resource for local investors. This exchange caters to a diverse user base, ranging from novices to institutional traders, with its user-friendly interface. Offering access to over 1,000 digital assets, Bybit stands out in the Indonesian crypto market. It ensures secure transactions on its compliant platform and supports straightforward Indonesian Rupiah (IDR) deposits.
Bybit is celebrated for its extensive array of cryptocurrencies, staking opportunities, and futures contracts, offering up to 100x leverage while ensuring high liquidity. This versatility is ideal for a variety of investment strategies. Its competitive fee structure, featuring a maker fee of 0.01% and a taker fee of 0.06%, coupled with a global user base exceeding 20 million, highlights its reliability and effectiveness in the cryptocurrency domain.
- Fees: Maker fee at 0.01% and taker fee at 0.06%.
- Supported Cryptocurrencies: Provides access to over 1,000 digital assets.
- Regulation & Licensing: Complies with international regulatory standards, ensuring a secure trading environment in Indonesia.
- IDR Deposit Methods: Enables bank transfers, electronic payments, credit/debit cards, and other local options.
MEXC distinguishes itself as the second-leading cryptocurrency exchange in Indonesia, featuring an extensive collection of over 300 crypto assets and high-leverage futures trading, with leverage reaching up to 200x. This aspect is especially appealing to traders seeking advanced trading opportunities. With licensing in Estonia and headquarters in Seychelles, MEXC upholds stringent regulatory standards, ensuring a reliable trading atmosphere for its users.
In Indonesia, MEXC caters to a wide array of trading needs with services such as spot and margin trading, staking, and Initial Exchange Offerings (IEOs). Its capability to handle more than $2 billion in daily trading volume demonstrates a strong commitment to market responsiveness and user security. MEXC's broad range of trading options, favorable fee structure, and focus on user experience enhancement affirm its position as a preferred choice for Indonesian traders.
- Fees: Offers competitive maker fees from 0.020% to 0.060% and taker fees between 0.060% and 0.080%.
- Supported Assets: Features a diverse portfolio of over 300 cryptocurrencies, including major and niche altcoins.
- Regulation & Licensing: Operates under an Estonian license from its base in Seychelles, ensuring compliance with strict regulatory guidelines.
- IDR Deposit Methods: Supports a variety of deposit methods, including bank transfers, debit, and credit cards.
Gate.io establishes itself as the third-ranked cryptocurrency exchange in Indonesia, renowned for its extensive altcoin selection. This platform distinguishes itself with an impressive array of over 1,700 cryptocurrencies, making it a prime choice for traders interested in a broad spectrum of digital assets. Gate.io is celebrated for its competitive fee structure, with base fees starting at a mere 0.1% for spot trades.
Boasting a daily trading volume exceeding $5 billion and a community of over 14 million users, Gate.io commands a significant footprint in the global cryptocurrency market. The exchange enhances trading experiences with unique offerings such as trading bots and a dedicated section for emerging startups, providing users with varied and dynamic investment opportunities.
- Fees: Initiates competitive fees, beginning at 0.1% for maker orders and 0.2% for taker orders.
- Supported Cryptocurrencies: Boasts a vast selection of over 1,700 digital assets.
- Regulation & Licensing: Operates internationally with a base in Seychelles, ensuring a broad reach without direct Indonesian licensing but remains accessible to local users.
- IDR Deposit Methods: Facilitates various deposit options, including local bank transfers, e-wallets, and credit cards, catering to diverse investor needs.
In Indonesia, Binance claims the fourth spot, appealing to casual enthusiasts and seasoned investors with its comprehensive platform. Binance stands out for its extensive array of functionalities accessible to users at every skill level. It offers an impressive selection of over 350 cryptocurrencies, including major coins like Bitcoin, Ethereum, Solana, and Celestia, alongside a variety of emerging tokens.
The platform's trading tools, such as Futures and Margin trading, are tailored to accommodate all experience levels. Binance also provides real-time market analytics and advanced risk management tools, including Stop Loss and OCO (One-Cancels-the-Other) orders. Moreover, Binance's staking and savings options offer avenues for passive income, broadening its appeal among Indonesian investors.
- Fees: Binance maintains competitive trading fees, starting at 0.1%.
- Supported Assets: Features an extensive catalog of over 350 cryptocurrencies.
- Regulation & Licensing: While it operates globally with extensive licensing, Binance ensures accessibility to Indonesian investors without direct local regulation.
- IDR Deposit Methods: Offers a variety of deposit methods, including Bank Transfer, Credit/Debit Card, and e-wallets, accommodating a wide user base in Indonesia.
Pintu secures its place as the fifth-best cryptocurrency exchange in Indonesia, tailored for those seeking simplicity and safety in crypto investing. Starting from an accessible entry point of just Rp 11,000, Pintu opens the door to the cryptocurrency world for beginners and experienced traders alike. With its platform, Pintu stands out by emphasizing ease of use, security, and education through its Academy feature.
Registered and licensed by BAPPEBTI, Pintu assures users of its commitment to security, supported by multi-layered security measures including biometric identification and two-factor authentication. Offering a selection of top movers and a variety of digital assets, it caters to a broad audience with over 4.85 million installs and high ratings on app stores, reflecting its popularity and trustworthiness among Indonesian investors.
- Fees: Trading at Rp 0 with a 1% spread, and a flat Rp 4,500 for Rupiah withdrawals.
- Supported Assets: Offers over 150 cryptocurrencies and only two crypto assets for staking.
- Regulation & Licensing: Fully registered and overseen by BAPPEBTI and KOMINFO, ensuring a regulated and secure investment environment.
- IDR Deposit Methods: Offers various deposit options including bank transfers and e-wallets.
Is Crypto Regulated in Indonesia?
Yes, cryptocurrency is regulated in Indonesia, reflecting the country's proactive approach to the rapidly evolving digital currency landscape. Notably, on July 20, 2023, Indonesia took significant steps by officially establishing a crypto exchange, clearinghouse, and crypto asset storage manager, enhancing legal certainty and investor protection. This development followed the expansion of the tradable cryptocurrencies list to 501 in June 2023, demonstrating Indonesia's commitment to facilitating digital currency use within its financial system.
Regulatory oversight of cryptocurrencies in Indonesia is transitioning, with existing regulations being adapted to accommodate the digital asset class. Currently, cryptocurrencies are traded like commodities, under the regulatory purview of the Commodity Futures Trading Regulatory Agency (Bappebti).
However, a new law enacted in 2023 outlines the transfer of regulatory authority from Bappebti to the Financial Services Authority (OJK) by January 2025, indicating a future where cryptocurrencies may be treated as securities, further integrating them into Indonesia's formal financial sector.
How is Crypto Taxed in Indonesia?
In Indonesia, cryptocurrency transactions are taxed under the authority of the Directorate General of Taxes, part of the Ministry of Finance, as per Finance Minister Regulation (PMK) No. 68/PMK.03/2022. Investors engaging in crypto transactions on exchanges registered with Bappebti are subject to a Value Added Tax (VAT) of 0.11% and an Income Tax (PPh) of 0.1% on the transaction value.
For transactions on exchanges not registered with Bappebti, these rates double to 0.22% for VAT and 0.2% for Income Tax. These taxes are handled by the exchanges, simplifying compliance for investors, who must still report their crypto holdings in their Annual Tax Return.
Our review highlights Indonesia's vibrant crypto exchange landscape, showcasing platforms like Bybit, MEXC, Gate.io, Binance, and Pintu. These exchanges are recognized for their regulatory compliance, offering a secure and intuitive trading environment. By aligning with Indonesia's Financial Services Authority (OJK) and the Directorate General of Taxes, these platforms ensure investor protection and market integrity. This guide is crafted to help investors navigate through the options, focusing on platforms that offer a mix of regulatory compliance, diverse trading opportunities, and robust security.