Top Crypto Trading Platforms in Japan
Below we have provided an overview of the top trading platforms for Japanese investors. Our evaluation took into account important factors such as regulatory compliance, available assets, user-friendliness, JPY deposit options, and more. Our analysis led us to compile this list of the Five Best Crypto Exchanges in Japan.
Bybit is the best Cryptocurrency exchange for Japanese investors as the platform can be used in Japanese, plus it offers 24/7 Japanese-speaking customer support via its live chat feature. It is a global exchange that offers services to over 180 countries including Japan. Bybit is a popular option due to not requiring KYC (identity verification) in order to deposit, withdraw, or trade funds on the platform. It's a feature-rich platform that offers multiple trade types, several staking options, and more. If you would like to learn more you can visit our detailed Bybit Review.
- Fees: JPY deposits and withdrawals are free, but Crypto withdrawals have a small fee. The spot trading fee is 0.1% and the futures maker/taker rebates are 0.01%/0.06%.
- Supported Cryptos: Trade 400+ Cryptocurrencies & stake 280+ tokens.
- Regulation & Licensing: Unregulated hence no KYC requirements, but provides regularly updated proof of reserves.
- Customer Support Options: 24/7 support via live chat, email, and a variety of social media platforms such as Twitter, Telegram, & Discord.
- JPY Deposit Methods: Bank Transfer, Credit/Debit Card, Line Pay, PayPay, Japan Post Bank, PayPal & Wise.
OKX is the second best option for Japanese investors as it is a globally regulated platform that also offers services to 180 countries including Japan. It offers a wide variety of features which include spot, derivatives, options and margin trading, lending and borrowing services, an NFT marketplace, multiple staking options its own blockchain and native token OKB, a DeFi platform, and much more. If you're interested in learning more about this exchange, you can visit our OKX Review.
- Fees: JPY deposits and withdrawals are free and Crypto withdrawals are subject to a fee. The spot trading fee is 0.1% and the derivatives maker/taker rebate is 0.02%/0.05%.
- Supported Cryptos: Trade 300+ Cryptocurrencies & stake 200+ tokens.
- Regulation & Licensing: OKX is registered in Hong Kong and Malta, and provides proof of reserves.
- Customer Support Options: 24/7 support via live chat, email, and social media platforms including Twitter, Discord, & Telegram.
- JPY Deposit Methods: Bank Transfer, Credit/Debit Card, Line Pay, Japan Post Bank, PayPal, Wise & Revolut.
bitFlyer is the largest and most secure Japanese Cryptocurrency exchange and has the number 1 Bitcoin trading volume in Japan. It's great for both beginners and experienced traders as it offers two types of trading platforms, a beginner's one which is the simple bitFlyer exchange, and then an advanced trading platform called bitFlyer Lightning. In addition to the trading platforms, it offers a variety of features including its own Crypto Credit Card, BTC earning services, and T-Point exchange for Bitcoin.
- Fees: JPY deposits are free and withdrawals are between 220 - 770 JPY depending on the method. The trading fee starts at 0.15% for <100,000 JPY a month and gets as low as 0.01% for users above 500,000,000 JPY.
- Supported Cryptocurrencies: Trade 19 Cryptocurrencies.
- Regulation & Licensing: bitFlyer is regulated in Japan and is a Platinum member of the Japan Blockchain Association (JBA).
- Customer Support: bitFlyer does not have 24/7 support, customer service can be contacted between 09:00 - 19:00 (JST) via contact form or phone (03-6434-5864). They also have Twitter & Facebook.
- JPY Deposit Methods: Bank Transfer, Credit/Debit Card, Convenience store (Konbini), Internet Banking (AEON Bank, Pay-easy, SBI Sumishin Net Bank) & ACH Transfer.
Bitbank is the second-largest Japanese Cryptocurrency exchange and offers a few more tokens than bitFlyer. It has the number one ranked Crypto trading app on the Japanese Apple App Store. It also is one of the only Japanese digital asset exchanges that provide instant verification (within minutes). In addition to its trading services, it also offers lending services, where users can lend their assets to Bitbank for a 3% yield.
- Fees: JPY deposits are free and withdrawals are between 550 - 770 JPY depending on the method. The trading fee rebate is -0.02% for the maker and 0.12% for taker.
- Supported Cryptocurrencies: Trade 24 Cryptocurrencies.
- Regulation & Licensing: Member of the Japan Crypto Asset Trading Association under registration number 0004.
- Customer Support: 24/7 support is not available, the only way to contact customer service is through the contact form. They also have Twitter, Instagram & Facebook.
- JPY Deposit Methods: GMO Aozora Net Bank & Sumishin SBI Net Bank.
Binance is the largest global Crypto trading platform in the world with over 120 million users in 100+ countries including Japan. It has a vast array of features, including spot, futures, margin, and options trading, staking services, and a decentralized exchange (DEX). The platform offers 24/7 customer support in multiple languages including Japanese. If you would like to learn more about this exchange and its features, visit our detailed Binance Review.
- Fees: JPY deposit and withdrawal fees vary between 0.5% - 4% depending on the method. The spot trading fee is 0.1%. The future maker/taker rebate is 0.02%/0.06%.
- Supported Cryptos: Trade 300+ Cryptocurrencies & stake 100+ tokens.
- Regulation & Licensing: Registered in Malta but does not provide proof of reserves.
- Customer Support Options: 24/7 support via live chat, email, and social media platforms which include Discord, Telegram, & Twitter.
- JPY Deposit Methods: Bank Transfer, Line Pay, Credit/Debit Card & Japan Post Bank.
Is Crypto Trading Legal in Japan?
Yes, Cryptocurrency trading is completely legal in Japan. The country has implemented a regulatory framework for Cryptocurrency exchanges and the trading of digital assets through the Payment Services Act and the Financial Instruments and Exchange Act. Under these laws, Crypto trading platforms are required to register with the Japanese Financial Services Agency (FSA) and comply with anti-money laundering (AML) and know-your-customer (KYC) regulations.
Does Japan tax Cryptocurrencies?
In Japan, Cryptocurrencies are considered "miscellaneous income" and are subject to income tax. The tax rate varies based on the individual's income bracket and can range from 5% to 45%. Additionally, capital gains from Cryptocurrency trading are subject to taxation as well. In some cases, losses incurred from Crypto trading can be offset against other taxable income.
It is important to note that Cryptocurrency tax laws in Japan are constantly evolving and it is recommended to consult with a tax professional for the most up-to-date information on cryptocurrency taxes in Japan.
Cryptocurrency trading is legal in Japan and there are various platforms available for Japanese traders to buy, sell, and trade digital assets. Bybit is the best option for Japanese investors as it is a global exchange that can be used in Japanese and offers 24/7 Japanese-speaking customer support. Additionally, it offers multiple free JPY deposit methods to buy and sell over 400 tokens.