Summary: In Hong Kong, the most effective way to purchase and trade Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies is through a local exchange regulated by the Securities and Futures Commission (SFC) with a Virtual Asset Service Provider (VASP) license. These platforms provide legal avenues for crypto asset investing, accepting HKD deposits through bank transfers, debit cards, credit cards, the Faster Payment System (FPS), among other methods.
For those embarking on their cryptocurrency journey in Hong Kong, we have evaluated the top 5 trading platforms in the area. Based on our analysis, here are the most reliable options:
Get the daily newsletter keeping 200,000 investors ahead of the market.
Best Cryptocurrency Exchanges in Hong Kong
In our detailed assessment of over 20 cryptocurrency platforms, we've identified the best ones for Hong Kong investors. Our criteria included compliance with the Securities and Futures Commission (SFC) of Hong Kong, a broad range of cryptocurrencies, user-friendly interfaces, Hong Kong Dollar (HKD) deposit methods, and fair transaction fees. Below is our concise, well-researched list of the top five cryptocurrency trading platforms.
As a leading cryptocurrency exchange in Hong Kong, Bybit is designed to serve a broad range of investors, from beginners to advanced users. The platform boasts a diverse portfolio with over 930 digital assets, marking it a significant player in the local crypto sector. Bybit facilitates easy HKD deposits and ensures strong security, making it a reliable choice. The platform is user-friendly, offering features like crypto staking, lending, and more, suitable for various investment strategies.
Bybit's standout feature is its extensive cryptocurrency selection and perpetual contract offerings, providing up to 25x leverage and deep liquidity. This comprehensive approach positions Bybit as a versatile platform for diverse crypto investments. The platform's competitive fees, a maker fee of 0.01% and a taker fee of 0.06%, along with its service to over 10 million users, underscore its proficiency and security in catering to the needs of Hong Kong’s crypto enthusiasts.
- Fees: Bybit has a maker fee of 0.01% and a taker fee of 0.06%.
- Supported Cryptocurrencies: Over 930 digital assets are available on Bybit.
- Regulation & Licensing: Compliant with relevant Asian market regulations and operates in Hong Kong.
- HKD Deposit Methods: Includes bank transfers, FPS, PayMe, credit/debit cards, and various e-payment options.
Securing the second position in our curated list for Hong Kong's cryptocurrency market is OKX. This platform distinguishes itself with its versatility and substantial liquidity in major assets such as Bitcoin, Ethereum, and popular stablecoins like Tether USDT and USDC. OKX offers an impressive array of over 300 premium crypto assets, evolving into a full-fledged financial hub for investors.
A defining aspect of OKX is its robust DeFi ecosystem, powered by the innovative OKT Chain, which offers functionalities similar to Binance's BNB Chain. This feature allows for high-yield DeFi investments, attracting experienced traders looking for higher returns. OKX also offers diverse trading options, including spot, margin, futures, and options trading, complemented by an active NFT marketplace and efficient DeFi portfolio management tools.
- Fees: Complimentary HKD deposits and a competitive 0.08% fee for spot trading
- Supported Cryptocurrencies: A diverse selection of over 300 cryptocurrencies, including stablecoins
- Regulation & Licensing: OKX operates under a VASP license, compliant with the SFC's regulatory framework.
- HKD Deposit Methods: Options include Bank Transfer, FPS, Credit Card, Debit Card, among others.
Binance, ranking third in our list for Hong Kong's cryptocurrency community, has established itself as a major global platform, serving over 100 million users in 130 countries. The platform offers a broad spectrum of trading options, including spot, margin, and futures across more than 350 crypto assets, making it a versatile choice for traders.
In the Hong Kong market, Binance stands out for its comprehensive customer support in multiple languages, including Cantonese, and efficient HKD deposit methods through various local banks and payment systems. With a significant local investor base anda strong regional presence, Binance reinforces its position as a reliable platform for traders. The platform is known for its wide array of tools and services, positioning itself as a center for an all-encompassing crypto trading experience.
- Fees: Binance has a competitive fee schedule, with 0.1% for spot trading and 0.06% for derivatives.
- Supported Assets: Offers an expansive selection of over 350 cryptocurrencies.
- Regulation & Licensing: Regulated across Asia and available to investors in Hong Kong.
- HKD Deposit Methods: Hong Kong users have access to deposit options like bank transfers, credit cards, and debit cards.
Gate.io, recognized as the fourth-best cryptocurrency exchange in Hong Kong, is known for its extensive altcoin collection. The platform offers an exceptional range of over 1,700 crypto assets, catering to those interested in exploring a broad spectrum of digital assets. In Hong Kong's dynamic crypto market, Gate.io appeals to many due to its attractive fee structure, starting at just 0.1% for spot trades.
With a notable 24-hour trading volume exceeding $5 billion and a global user base of over 14 million, Gate.io showcases its substantial influence and popularity in the worldwide cryptocurrency sector. The platform enhances the trading experience with distinctive features like automated trading bots and a specialized startup section. These aspects offer Hong Kong traders a variety of engaging market opportunities, including unique trading events and competitions, tailored to their specific interests.
- Fees: Gate.io offers competitive trading fees, with maker orders starting at 0.1% and taker orders at 0.2%.
- Supported Cryptocurrencies: The platform boasts a wide array of over 1,700 digital assets.
- Regulation & Licensing: Based offshore in the Seychelles, Gate.io is accessible to users in Hong Kong, although not directly licensed there.
- HKD Deposit Methods: Includes various options such as local bank transfers, debit and credit cards, PayPal, and others.
Concluding our top five for Hong Kong's crypto market is KuCoin, known for its global presence and extensive offerings. With a daily trading volume frequently exceeding $5 billion and a user base across over 200 countries, KuCoin is a formidable entity in the cryptocurrency world. The platform offers over 700 cryptocurrencies, catering to a broad spectrum of established and emerging digital assets.
KuCoin places a strong emphasis on security, implementing advanced measures such as Proof of Reserves (PoR) to ensure a secure trading environment. The platform's appeal also lies in its wide range of trading features and the innovative Halo Wallet. Dedicated to user satisfaction, KuCoin provides 24/7 support and has cultivated a worldwide community of 29 million users, affirming its reliability for traders.
- Fees: KuCoin offers competitive fees, with 0.1% for spot trading and differentiated maker/taker fees of 0.02%/0.06% for derivatives.
- Supported Cryptocurrencies: The platform boasts a selection of over 700 cryptocurrencies and provides staking options for more than 100.
- Regulation & Licensing: While not directly regulated in Hong Kong, KuCoin is widely accessible to Hong Kong investors.
- HKD Deposit Methods: Includes various deposit options such as bank transfers, digital wallets, and debit/credit card transactions.
Is Crypto Regulated in Hong Kong?
Since 2018, the SFC has established licensing regimes for virtual asset (VA) portfolio managers and virtual asset service providers (VASPs), extending its jurisdiction to include virtual asset trading platform operators (VATPs) involved in electronic trading and holding client assets. In 2022 and 2023, the HKMA expanded its regulatory scope to cover various VA-related activities, with a significant focus on the governance and issuance of stablecoins.
Cryptocurrencies in Hong Kong are classified as virtual assets and are not considered legal tender. The legal framework, defined by Hong Kong law and the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorist Financing Ordinance (AMLO), includes various forms of digital tokens, such as utility tokens and stablecoins, but excludes digital representations of fiat currencies issued by central banks.
How is Crypto Taxed in Hong Kong?
In Hong Kong, cryptocurrency taxation follows the guidance of the Inland Revenue Department's DIPN 39, issued in March 2020.
The tax treatment depends on the type of digital asset: security tokens are typically considered capital and thus not subject to tax, while utility tokens may be taxable if sourced in Hong Kong. Cryptocurrencies held for long-term investment are generally not taxed as capital gains. Cryptocurrency received as employment income is taxed at market value.
Areas like decentralized finance (DeFi), staking, and non-fungible tokens (NFTs) are not covered by DIPN 39. The Unified Fund Exemption regime doesn't usually include digital assets as qualifying securities, and cryptocurrency is not addressed in VA borrowing and lending tax provisions, as it's not considered "stock" or "money."
In summary, for those engaging in cryptocurrency trading in Hong Kong, it's essential to choose a platform wisely, considering the regulatory environment and tax implications. Our analysis highlights the top exchanges like Bybit, OKX, Binance, Gate.io, and KuCoin, offering a range of assets and features under the local legal framework.
Understanding the tax guidelines as per the Inland Revenue Department's DIPN 39 is also vital for informed investment decisions. As the cryptocurrency landscape evolves, staying updated with regulatory and tax changes is key for successful trading in Hong Kong.