Summary: Uphold operates in over 180 countries, offering financial services tailored to regional regulations. While widely accessible, certain countries have restrictions due to unique regulatory environments. Uphold complies with global standards, including AML, PCI-DSS, and OFAC, ensuring secure, reliable services worldwide, with a focus on trust and compliance in the global financial market.
Get the daily newsletter keeping 200,000 investors ahead of the market.
What Countries is Uphold Available?
Uphold offers its services to clients in over 180 countries worldwide. This expansive coverage includes regions such as North America, the United Kingdom, Europe, Australia, and numerous countries in Asia, South America, and Africa. However, the availability of Uphold's services varies depending on each country's specific regulatory requirements.
Although there is a global interest in Uphold's advanced cryptocurrency and financial services, certain countries face limitations regarding the platform's full suite of offerings. These restrictions are primarily due to the distinct regulatory frameworks that govern digital financial services in different countries. As a result, not all of Uphold's services may be accessible to users in some regulated jurisdictions.
What Countries Does Uphold Restrict?
Uphold, due to varying regulatory constraints, limits its services in several countries across the globe. This includes regions in Africa, Asia, Europe, and the Pacific. The range of countries facing these restrictions extends from conflict-affected areas like Syria and North Korea to nations with specific regulatory environments, such as Cuba and Iran.
Furthermore, Uphold is currently unable to offer new accounts in an extended list of countries. This list encompasses locations in the Americas, Europe, Africa, and Asia, among others. The primary reason for this limitation is the diverse local regulations and restrictions present in these jurisdictions, which influence Uphold's ability to provide services there.
Uphold Card Countries
The Uphold Card is offered to users in the United Kingdom, providing a versatile debit card service. This service enables customers to utilize their cryptocurrencies, precious metals, and various other assets for real-time transactions. Significantly, the Uphold Card in the UK operates under the regulation and licensing of the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), which guarantees secure and compliant usage for its customers.
Where Is Uphold Regulated and Licensed?
Uphold operates under strict regulatory oversight to ensure compliance with global financial standards and data protection laws. As a recognized financial service provider, its regulatory framework encompasses several key areas:
- United States Regulation: Overseen by the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) and state regulatory authorities.
- United Kingdom Compliance: Regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
- Canadian Registration: Registered with the Financial Transactions and Reports Analysis Centre of Canada (FINTRAC).
- European Oversight: Under the jurisdiction of the Financial Crime Investigation Service of the Republic of Lithuania.
- Global AML Controls: Adheres to Anti-Money Laundering (AML) measures in line with various local, state, federal, and international laws including EU data protection requirements, the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) in the U.S., and personal information protection regulations in China.
- PCI-DSS Compliance: Upholds the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards to prevent credit card fraud, verified annually by a Qualified Security Assessor (QSA).
- OFAC Regulations: Follows the directives of the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), ensuring adherence to international financial regulations.
In summary, Uphold serves clients in over 180 countries, adapting its offerings to comply with regional regulatory requirements. While accessible in many regions, restrictions in certain countries reflect the diverse regulatory landscape affecting digital financial services. Uphold’s adherence to stringent international regulations, including AML, PCI-DSS, and OFAC standards, demonstrates its commitment to secure and compliant financial operations worldwide. This approach ensures Uphold maintains a trusted and reliable presence in the global financial market.