Summary: Slovenia has taken a balanced approach to regulate cryptocurrency, seeking to protect consumers while also allowing for innovation and growth in the industry. The only way Slovenians can buy Crypto is by going through a BOS (Bank of Slovenia) regulated digital asset exchange. All of the platforms listed in this guide are licensed by BOS and can offer services in the country.
For users wanting to compare the best five Crypto exchanges in Slovenia:
Top Trading Platforms in Slovenia
Our team has analyzed more than 50 Crypto trading platforms accessible to Slovenian investors and has provided a list of the top five options. The platforms are ranked according to key factors which include available features, regulatory compliance, security, functionality, fees, and more. Below you can find an extensive analysis of the Best Five Cryptocurrency Exchanges in Slovenia.
eToro is the top crypto exchange in Slovenia, offering a diverse selection of over 3,000 assets, including cryptocurrencies, stocks, commodities, currencies, indices, and ETFs. Unique features like Social Trading, Virtual Accounts, and 10x Leverage set eToro apart from rivals, ensuring competitive pricing and minimal spreads on assets.
Regulated by the European Securities and Markets Authority (ESMA), eToro has gained the trust of over 30 million users across Europe, including Slovenian investors. The platform's user-friendly interface, combined with affordable EUR deposit options through SEPA transfers, online banking, and debit cards, establishes eToro as the leading investment platform in Slovenia.
- Fees: Free deposits & withdrawals, 0% trading fees and a 1% spread.
- Supported Assets: 70 cryptocurrencies, 3000+ stocks, 18 indices, 27 commodities, 49 fiat currencies, and 300 ETFs.
- Regulation & Licensing: European Securities & Markets Authority (ESMA), CySEC, the FCA and other key regulators.
- Customer Support Options: 24/7 support via live chat, email & online ticketing system and more.
- EUR Deposit Methods: Bank Transfer, SEPA, Credit/Debit Card, Klarna, SOFORT, Skrill and PayPal.
Uphold is considered the best Cryptocurrency exchange in Slovenia due to its regulatory compliance, transparency in its assets (regularly audited proof of reserves), strong security measures, diverse features, low fees, user-friendly interface, and high liquidity. These factors make it a reliable and trusted platform for Slovenian investors looking to trade Cryptocurrencies.
- Fees: Free deposits and withdrawals. There are zero trading fees. Spreads average at around 0.5% depending on the token (industry-leading spreads).
- Supported Cryptos: 250+ Cryptocurrencies.
- Regulation & Licensing: Regulated and Licensed in Europe & Slovenia with audited proof-of-reserves.
- Customer Support Options: 24/7 support via live chat, email, online ticketing system and social media.
- EUR Deposit Methods: Bank Transfer, Credit/Debit Card, SEPA, Google Pay & Apple Pay.
Bybit is regarded to be one of the top Crypto exchanges in Slovenia for several reasons. Firstly, it offers a variety of features which include multiple trading types, several staking options, lending and borrowing services, an NFT marketplace, plus much more. Secondly, it offers a user-friendly interface that makes trading easy and accessible for traders of all levels. The platform features a simple and intuitive design, making it easy for users to navigate and execute trades.
- Fees: Deposits and withdrawals are free. The spot trading fee is 0.1% and the futures maker/taker rebates is 0.01%/0.06%.
- Supported Cryptos: 400+ Cryptocurrencies.
- Regulation & Licensing: Unregulated hence no KYC requirements, but provides proof of reserves.
- Customer Support Options: 24/7 support via live chat, email, online ticketing system, and social media (Discord, Telegram, Reddit etc).
- EUR Deposit Methods: SEPA, Bank Transfer, Credit/Debit Card, Wise, Skrill, Neteller, PayPal & more.
Binance is widely regarded to be the best Crypto trading platform in the world and has amassed over 120 million users. It has the largest global presence out of any exchange and is a feature-rich platform that offers derivatives, options and spot trading, leveraged tokens, and margin trading with up to 50x leverage. In addition, Binance has its own token BNB, and if staked, provides low trading fees.
- Fees: Deposit and withdrawal fees vary between 0.5% - 4% depending on the method. The spot trading fee is 0.1%. The future maker/taker rebate is 0.02%/0.06%.
- Supported Cryptos: 300+ Cryptocurrencies.
- Regulation & Licensing: Regulated to operate in Europe.
- Customer Support Options: 24/7 support via live chat, email, and social media.
- EUR Deposit Methods: Bank Transfer, SEPA, Credit/Debit Card & Apple Pay.
KuCoin is considered the best exchange for altcoins due to its wide range of offerings, low trading fees, and user-friendly interface. Additionally, the platform has a strong track record of listing high-quality altcoins before other exchanges, providing its users with ample opportunities to invest in promising projects before they become more well-known.
- Fees: Free deposits & withdrawals. The spot trading fee is 0.1%, and the derivatives maker/taker rebate is 0.02%/0.06%.
- Supported Assets: 600+ Cryptocurrencies.
- Regulation & Licensing: Unregulated hence no KYC requirements.
- Customer Support Options: 24/7 support via live chat, email & through its online ticketing system.
- EUR Deposit Methods: Credit/Debit Card, Simplex, Banxa, Bank Transfer & Apple Pay.
Is Crypto Investing Legal in Slovenia?
Yes, Cryptocurrency is legal in Slovenia. The Bank of Slovenia (BOS) regulates the digital asset exchanges operating in the country, ensuring their compliance with regulations and consumer protection. Slovenians can buy tokens through BOS-regulated Cryptocurrency exchanges.
The bank oversees the use of Cryptocurrencies and has implemented anti-money laundering and anti-terrorist financing regulations. These regulations require digital asset exchanges to comply with AML and anti-terrorist financing rules, as well as to report suspicious transactions.
How is Crypto Taxed in Slovenia?
In Slovenia, Cryptocurrency is considered as a taxable asset and is subject to income tax, capital gains tax, and value-added tax (VAT). The taxation of Crypto transactions depends on the nature of the transaction and the purpose for which it was made.
Profits derived from the sale of digital assets are subject to capital gains tax, while mining and staking activities are considered as taxable income. Additionally, VAT is levied on the sale of cryptocurrencies if they are used as a means of payment.
The Bottom Line
In conclusion, Slovenia offers a regulated environment for cryptocurrency trading, balancing consumer protection with industry growth. The top five crypto exchanges for Slovenian investors include eToro, Uphold, Bybit, Binance, and KuCoin, each with its own unique features and advantages. These platforms are all compliant with the Bank of Slovenia's regulations, ensuring a secure and trustworthy trading experience.