Summary: In Italy, acquiring Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies is a reliable and streamlined procedure when executed on an exchange following the guidelines of CONSOB. Investors can leverage options like SEPA bank transfers, traditional Italian online banking systems, and a multitude of alternative payment methods to deposit Euros (EUR). These methods facilitate the buying, staking, and trading of digital currencies within a regulated ecosystem.
Our team has evaluated and compiled a list of the top 5 crypto trading platforms in Italy to assist you in navigating the cryptocurrency landscape. Here are the most credible options at your disposal:
Top Crypto Trading Platforms in Italy
After an analysis of more than 15 exchanges, we have outlined the leading platforms for Italian investors. Our methodology takes into account factors such as adherence to regulations set by the Organismo Agenti e Mediatori (OAM) and Commissione Nazionale per le Società e la Borsa (CONSOB), the diversity of digital assets on offer, the user experience, Euro deposit methods available, transaction fees, among other factors, to provide a precise assessment of these platforms.
Standing tall as Italy's premier crypto investment platform, eToro presents an array of more than 3,000 assets, covering cryptocurrencies, stocks, commodities, currencies, indices, and ETFs. Its standout features such as Copy Trading and a Virtual Account for practice set it apart in a crowded marketplace, all while ensuring competitive fees and slim spreads on assets.
eToro operates under the regulation of the European Securities and Markets Authority (ESMA), earning the confidence of over 30 million European users, Italian investors included. Thanks to its intuitive interface and accessible EUR deposit options through SEPA transfers, online banking, and debit cards, eToro ascends as the best investment platform in Italy.
- Fees: Free deposits & withdrawals, 0% trading fees and a 1% spread.
- Supported Assets: 70 cryptocurrencies, 3000+ stocks, 18 indices, 27 commodities, 49 fiat currencies, and 300 ETFs.
- Regulation & Licensing: European Securities & Markets Authority (ESMA), CySEC, the FCA and other key regulators.
- EUR Deposit Methods: Bank Transfer, Credit/Debit Card, Klarna, SOFORT, Skrill, Neteller, and PayPal.
Uphold, established in 2014 by Halsey Minor and JP Thieriot, is a renowned multi-asset investing platform and holds the distinction of being one of the safest exchanges in existence. It employs sophisticated encryption and security measures to safeguard user information and capital.
As one of the rare digital-asset platforms globally to offer audited proof-of-reserves, Uphold assures its users that their funds are consistently backed on a 1:1 basis. This combination of security and transparency positions Uphold as the second-best platform for cryptocurrency investment in Italy.
- Fees: Free deposits on all methods except card, which is subject to a 2.49% fee. Crypto trading fees vary between 0.8% - 1.2%.
- Supported Assets: 210 cryptocurrencies, 40 shares, 4 precious metals and 27 fiat currencies.
- Regulation & Licensing: Regulated and Licensed in Europe.
- EUR Deposit Methods: Bank Transfer, Credit/Debit Card, SEPA, Google Pay & Apple Pay.
Established in 2018, Bybit has quickly built a reputation as one of the premier platforms for trading cryptocurrency derivatives. Bybit, with over 10 million registered users globally, is well-regarded for its strong emphasis on futures trading. It offers a comprehensive service to traders in many countries, including Italy, and caters to Italian users with a platform available in the Italian language. Bybit's widespread recognition and speciality in crypto futures trading underscores its position as the third-best platform for cryptocurrency investment in Italy.
Bybit also shows a robust commitment to regulatory compliance globally. They're currently licensed in Dubai and have recently obtained a license from the Cyprus Securities and Exchange Commission (CySEC), enabling operations within the European Union. Furthermore, Bybit is actively working towards compliance with the Organismo Agenti e Mediatori (OAM). As of now, Bybit's services are readily available for use in Italy, indicating continuous regulatory expansion.
- Fees: 0.1% spot trading fee and 0.06% for derivatives.
- Supported Assets: 400+ cryptocurrencies.
- Regulation & Licensing: Regulated in Dubai by the ADGM and available in Italy.
- EUR Deposit Methods: Wise, Credit Card, Debit Card, SEPA, Paysera, Bank Transfer, Revolut, iDEAL, Maestro & Google Pay.
Binance, launched in 2017 by Changpeng Zhao, also known as CZ, holds the title of the world's largest cryptocurrency exchange. With its superior security measures, it has captured the attention of more than 120 million users globally, establishing it as a leading exchange platform. Binance's advanced trading tools, intricate charting, and secure fund backups ensure users enjoy maximum protection, earning it the reputation as the fourth prime cryptocurrency investment platform in Italy.
Having obtained a Digital Asset Service Provider (DASP) registration from Organismo Agenti e Mediatori (OAM) under the registration number PSV5, Binance Italy S.R.L. is now authorized to provide cryptocurrency exchange and custody services.
- Fees: Free EUR deposits and 0.1% trading fees.
- Supported Assets: 350+ cryptocurrencies.
- Regulation & Licensing: Regulated by the OAM in Italy.
- EUR Deposit Methods: Advcash, Etana, Bank Transfer, SEPA & Credit/Debit Card.
5. Young Platform
Young Platform is an Italian crypto exchange that offers a wide range of services to investors. At its core, it's committed to providing users with a safe, secure, and reliable trading experience that meets the needs of both novices and experienced traders alike. With many supported Italian deposit methods for Euros, Young Platform has quickly become one of the most popular exchanges in Italy.
In addition to its primary trading platform, Young Platform boasts a dedicated learning environment, Young Platform Academy, which aims to educate both the new and seasoned crypto enthusiasts. Its focus on education signifies its commitment to empowering its user base with the necessary knowledge to navigate the complex crypto markets successfully. With intuitive user interface, robust security, and an array of Italian-friendly Euro deposit methods, Young Platform has swiftly emerged as a favourite among Italian crypto exchanges.
- Fees: Free EUR deposits and a 1% fee to swap EUR for crypto.
- Supported Assets: 35+ cryptocurrencies.
- Regulation & Licensing: Not regulated in Italy or Europe.
- EUR Deposit Methods: Bank Transfer, Wire Transfer, SEPA, Credit Card or Debit Card.
Is Crypto Trading Legal in Italy?
Yes, cryptocurrency trading is legal in Italy. Widely accepted digital currencies, including Bitcoin, are regulated to an extent by the government. The Italian Financial Supervisory Authority, the Commissione Nazionale per le Società e la Borsa (CONSOB), monitors crypto exchanges and businesses' activities.
However, the Organismo Agenti e Mediatori (OAM) also plays a pivotal role, ensuring these entities adhere to financial regulations, thereby safeguarding consumers. It's worth noting that cryptocurrencies, while legal, aren't considered legal tender like the Euro in Italy. This distinction affects taxation and legal protections, so Italian investors should seek professional advice or undertake more research for a comprehensive understanding.
How to Buy Bitcoin and Crypto in Italy
If you're intrigued by the prospect of investing in Bitcoin or other digital assets in Italy, here's a concise, step-by-step guide for a secure and legally compliant transaction:
- Choose a CONSOB-compliant platform: Opt for exchanges that comply with Italy's financial regulatory authority, the Commissione Nazionale per le Società e la Borsa.
- Account setup and verification: Register using your email, create a robust password, and complete KYC procedures with necessary identification and proof of residence.
- Deposit EUR: Load your account via SEPA Transfer, traditional Italian online banking, or debit/credit cards.
- Purchase cryptocurrency: Select your preferred digital currency and the quantity to buy in EUR or crypto, then validate the transaction.
- Safeguard your assets: Move your digital assets to a crypto wallet for increased security.
By following these steps and employing a reputable, regulated platform, you can securely and efficiently acquire cryptocurrencies in Italy. Always keep your personal information and wallet details secure, and conduct in-depth research prior to investing in any digital asset.
In summary, Italian crypto investors have a variety of reputable platforms like eToro, Uphold, Bybit, Binance, and Young Platform. Each platform brings unique advantages, such as eToro's broad asset array, Uphold's security, Bybit's futures trading, Binance's advanced tools, and Young Platform's localized service.
However, it's important to understand that cryptocurrencies, although legal in Italy, aren't seen as legal tender. By choosing a CONSOB-compliant platform, creating an account, making a deposit, buying cryptocurrency, and ensuring asset security, Italian investors can safely venture into crypto investing. Always prioritize security and do thorough research before investing.